Lexington County Council released a statement on Friday about possible locations of Internet sweepstakes cafes in the county.
In the statement, council said "when a retail operation, perceived to be an Internet cafe, receives a general retail land use permit The County of Lexington's Community Development Department forwards the name and location of the business to law enforcement" for investigation.
Lexington County doesn't have a business license ordinance but issues land use permits for residential, commercial and industrial development, according to the release.
Council said while the county issues land use permits, the permits "in no way authorize any activity that violates local, state or federal law."
Lexington County isn't the only governing body that has address Internet sweepstakes cafes or sweepstakes machines.
Earlier this year, on licensing businesses that operate the machines.
Irmo Town Council for businesses operating sweepstakes/amusement machines.
The following is a list of possible Internet cafes in the unincorporated area of Lexington County:
- The Donate Zone on St. Andrews Road, Columbia
- Cyber Connect on Emanuel Church Road, West Columbia
- Cloud 9 Internet Sweepstakes Cafe on St. Andrews Road, Columbia
- Sweepstakes Internet Systems on Platt Springs Road, West Columbia
- Red Bank Business Center on Platt Springs Road, Lexington
- Lexington Internet Cafe on West Main Street, Lexington
- Internet Sweepstakes Cafe on Edmund Highway, Pelion
- Sunset Business Center on Sunset Boulevard, West Columbia
- B&L Phonetime and Sweepstakes Business Center on Augusta Highway, Pelion
- Coffee Internet Shop on Augusta Highway, Lexington
A note on the door of The Donate Zone states that the location is "closed due to technical problems."